Monday, December 10, 2012

I have a dream

I DID not start out having the ambition to be an entrepreneur. Rather, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a high-flying corporate lady, wearing crisp collared shirt with A-line skirt, carrying a steel briefcase around, just like in the movies.

Source from (The Sun Daily): http://www.thesundaily.my/news/560941
Published: December 10, 2012

Then I got my dream job as a business journalist and throughout the nine years that I was that, I interviewed and wrote about successful entrepreneurs that I met almost daily.

One of the most inspiring stories I wrote was about this man who used to help out his father to collect chicken eggs after school and deliver them around the village.

Due to circumstances at that time, he did not finish school, but continued his father's business and today the company is listed on the main board of Bursa Malaysia and is among a market leader for poultry-related products with multimillion ringgit revenue each year.

I feel like burning my degree after talking to such inspiring personalities.

Who said we need paper qualification to be successful? Plus, every now and then government agencies would highlight on the amount of grants and loans available that are not being fully utilised by budding entrepreneurs. That made me felt worse. Money being handed out to do business? What am I doing with my life?

So two months ago, I took the plunge and left my job. I was getting too comfortable, too complacent with the routine of getting a fixed income every month and was just sitting on my dream. Nothing lost, nothing gain.

Three days after I quit my job, I began to panic. There is no way out now. It was either I try hard to achieve my dream of becoming an entrepreneur or die trying.

But what business can I do? Oil and gas, green technology, deep sea fishing, shipping and logistic, palm oil, franchising foreign brands to Malaysia, providing helicopter services to oil rigs – Oh, I've thought them all.

The main setback is of course start-up capital and I am nervous at the thought of having to use the savings I have for retirement. Furthermore, I don't have the guts or experience venturing into a business that sounds promising but one I hardly have any knowledge of.

Business books suggested that budding entrepreneurs find investors. Pitch your ideas to people, make your vision known and market your capability.

I found a business partner who shared the same passion as I do on entertaining and creating good food and together we brainstormed ideas to start a business on an industry we are familiar with and passionate about.

I believe when you are positive and sincere, the universe will conspire with you. Like a dream come true, our business proposal struck a chord with a potential investor. Nothing big, but it is indeed a stepping stone, a step forward to realise my dream.

Now, I am in a midst of finalising a tenancy agreement, working with a designer, sourcing for kitchen equipment and looking for workers. It definitely feels surreal.

I hope you will continue to follow my journey as I share this column once a month on my experience, challenges and struggles embarking on this unfamiliar road to start a food and beverage business.
You know what is my dream next? To share my success story when my company is enroute to its initial public offering and give burning inspiration to young reporters assigned to interview me. One day.

A former business journalist, Zurinna Raja Adam is now a stay-at-home mum, taking on her dream of becoming an entrepreneur.

No comments: